With the big game right around the corner, we’re all sure to be spending time with loved ones in front of the tube. While this will likely inspire positive thoughts, it’s important to keep safety top of mind as well.
National TV Safety day falls on February 4, 2017, and now is as good a time as any to remember these
sad, but true facts about TV safety:
- Every hour, a child goes to the ER because of a TV tip-over
- 7 out of 10 of children injured are aged 5 and under
- 34% of homes still have a CRT (cathode ray tube) model television
- These CRT model TVs are the most dangerous – for example, a 36″ CRT TV falling three feet creates the same momentum as a one year old falling ten stories
How to Protect Children
- Secure your TV with a wall mount that has a safety certification
- A safety strap can also prevent serious injuries
- Recycle your old tube TV. Learn how here: GreenerGadgets.org
- Or, properly place your older TV on a low stable piece of furniture
Want to learn a little more about TV safety?
Check out Peerless-AV’s previous blog on the subject: http://blog.peerless-av.com/safety-first-securing-flat-panel-tv-peerless-avs-stabilis-kit/